Volunteers help in almost every aspect of the Explorium’s operations including:
- Museum Guides: Greet our guests, facilitate floor interactions and lead demonstrations at our Experiment Express cart.
- Informal Teaching: Assist with our school orientations, after school and weekend programs and Eyes to the Skies astronomy programs.
- Special Events: Represent the Explorium at community events and festivals and assist on special event days at Sugar Sand Park, such as Shriek Week, Back to School Splash, and more!
- Science Camp Counselors: Help the Explorium’s campers have a fun and memorable experience at Science Camp. This position requires an individual to be a minimum age of 15 years old at the start of camp. Camps are offered winter break, spring break, and summer vacation.
People of all ages (minimum of 14 years, 15 for Science Camp) volunteer at the Children’s Science Explorium. The Explorium might be the right place for you if:
- You enjoy working with kids.
- You have a good sense of humor.
- You enjoy science.
- You are confident speaking publicly.
- You enjoy learning and sharing your knowledge.
- You want to meet fun people.
- You want to be more involved in the community.
- You need hours for community service.
All volunteers participate in a mandatory interview and orientation prior to beginning their time in the museum. The interview will determine if our facility is a good fit for you and the orientation provides an overview of the facility, exhibits, as well as policies and procedures to help prepare you with pertinent tools and information. Staff will work with volunteers to ensure an engaging experience.
Volunteers are required to a minimum of 30 hours of service over the course of their time with us.
The Children’s Science Explorium is operated by the City of Boca Raton. Volunteers will need to complete a City Volunteer Application Form.
- Interactive Forms:
Complete the form, indicating that you are interested in volunteering for the Explorium. The Explorium will work with the City’s Human Resources Office to process paperwork.
Please note the a level 2 background check will be completed for all individuals prior to their acceptance into the volunteer program.
Volunteers under age 18 must have parent or guardian approval.
Danell “Mimi” McKeel, winner of the 2021-2022 Morton Rosen Commitment Award for the City of Boca Raton and featured in the “Sugar Sand Park's Volunteer Army” has been volunteering at Sugar Sand Park since 2018 and has contributed over 1300 hours. Mimi has been a museum guide for Children’s Science Explorium, a lead usher for the Willow Theatre and has taken on multiple shifts assisting with the reception desk at the Human Resources department when they were in a bind. She has gone out of her way to be available to the needs of our facility and consistently takes pride in the cities goals and initiatives when it comes to explaining who we are and how many outstanding amenities we offer to patrons.
Lois Kuhlman has been volunteering for the Children’s Science Explorium since July 2022 and has contributed over 150 hours. Lois work’s endlessly to bring beauty to our garden with her green thumb and her passion for gardening. She is known for her contagious smile that brings happiness to the children she gives tours to in the garden and everyone she meets along the way. Lois is being recognized today for her contributions to making our garden beautiful.
Shaylee Bartlett has been volunteering for the Children’s Science Explorium since December 2022 and has contributed over 290 hours. From field trips to cleaning Shaylee comes in every day with a smile on her face, eager to help in any way possible. Shaylee was also featured in “Sugar Sand Park’s Volunteer Army” and is a strong part of that army of volunteers making Sugar Sand great!