Do you have a question and can't find an answer? Hopefully, the following Q&A will help you out! To submit a question, you can also use our feedback form. Please keep in mind, these questions are intended to cover topics related to Sugar Sand Park Community Center and Field House!

  1. What is there to do?
    • There is a community center, field house, playground (closed until early 2017), Children’s Science Explorium, Willow Theatre, nature trails, roller hockey rink, outdoor basketball courts & picnicking ( If you want to know something specific is open, please call before traveling a long distance! Occasionally, certain areas are closed for maintenance or other reasons – the number is 561-347-3900 for the Community Center and 561-347-3950 for the Field House.
  2. Is there a fee to enter?
    • Entrance to the park is free. The carousel costs $1 per person, per ride, and the Science Explorium has a suggested $5 per person donation. There is a $5 fee for non-residents to participate in Field House “open play” activities for basketball, volleyball and pickleball. Classes, special events, pavilion rentals and leagues all have costs associated with them.
  3. What classes do you offer?
  4. How do I find out about your classes/programs/events/shows?
    • The City’s Recreation Services puts out the Recreator three times per year and it is available in person at most City recreation facilities as well as on line. In addition, Sugar Sand Park Community Center’s Cultural Arts Brochure is mailed out from Sugar Sand Park Community Center twice a year to previous event and theatre participants or is available on line or in person in the facility. Most City recreation facilities also have flyers for each of their activities/classes available inside their building and of course, each website has additional information.
  5. When is registration?
    • Sugar Sand Park Community Center (including Children’s Science Explorium) classes have three general registration dates – December 1 for January-May programs; May 1 for June-August programs (not including summer specialty programs and camps); August 1 for September-December programs. Summer specialty program & camp registration generally begins around Palm Beach County spring break.
  6. How do I register for a class?
    • You can register in person or if you have previously set up a household with us, using the online recreation software ( Make sure to request your username and password for the system. We do not take registrations over the phone. However, you are able to purchase tickets to the Willow Theatre over the phone.
    • To register for C.O.B.R.A. programs in person, please go to the Field House at Sugar Sand Park.  Many of these athletic programs are available through the online WebTrac program.
    • For sports groups (such as Boca Hoops, Boca Raton Little League, or SABR soccer) you must visit the group’s own website. While Sugar Sand Park may be a registration location or where the leagues hold games and practices, City staff is not involved in the registration of these leagues or able to give you the most accurate information about them.
  7. Can I use your facility?

We are a resident based community park. Therefore, some opportunities are available ONLY to our residents. Some are available to anyone. If you are not sure, it’s best to contact our main number and you will be directed to someone who can help you (561-347-3900).

  • To rent a pavilion, you must be a resident ( and you must come in person. For the rules and to view pavilion availability, check here:
  • For the Children’s Science Explorium field trips, group outings, or for a group visit to the playground your school/group must be resident (
  • To purchase tickets to a Willow Theatre show or Community Center special event, there are no residency requirements.
  • To register for classes, non-residents are assessed an additional fee (25%) on their registration and register in person or on line using WebTrac ( .
  • Non-profit or for-profit groups must meet residency requirements. For full requirements, visit
  • To produce a show as part of the Willow Theatre Season, please contact our Booking Coordinator to discuss specifics and get an application – 561-347-3902. Theatre renters must meet residency requirements; for information on theatre rentals, visit
  • Interior spaces are not rented for personal use (like a family party), fundraisers, private events, or private classes.
  • The Field House can be rented by residents, schedule permitting
  1. What kinds of things are in the science museum?
    • The Children’s Science Explorium offers hands-on learning and experiment stations about the physical sciences and hosts 2 traveling exhibits per year. It is for children 5-12 and their caregivers. Please visit their webpage for more details, and the exciting classes and programs they offer:
  2. What kinds of shows do you have in the theatre?
    • The Willow Theatre has a variety of productions, including dramas, musicals, variety acts, dancing, music and family (kid-friendly) shows. To purchase tickets, visit the Willow Theatre’s website, Shows have are rated (G, PG, PG-13 or R) and information about each show is also listed on the Willow Theatre webpage.
  3. I want to be IN a show in the Willow Theatre – will you cast me in a show?
    • The Willow Theatre contracts with production companies who do their own casting calls. We are not a production company, so we are not involved with actors/performers for specific shows. Every other month, there is a Community Cabaret – five minutes per performer to show off their singing, comedy, dancing or other skills (performers must be 12 & older). See our webpage for details on registration dates
  4. How do I volunteer there?
    • Sugar Sand Park has many volunteer opportunities for those 14 and over. will link you to each website, with information about volunteer opportunities and how-to-apply for Willow Theatre, Children’s Science Explorium and Special Events.  For Athletics volunteering, contact 561-347-3950. All volunteers are subject to background screening through the City’s Human Resources department (
  5. I want to display my art there.
  6. Do you take donations/sponsorships?
    • To become a special event sponsor/partner at the Community Center, please contact our Marketing Coordinator at 561-347-3909.
    • To make a financial gift to the Community Center, please contact staff at 561-347-3907.
    • Children’s Science Explorium donations ($5 per person) are accepted at the Explorium front desk; to donate an item or an exhibit, contact the Science Center Curator at 561-347-3906.
    • To sponsor an athletic event or team, contact the Field House at 561-347-3950.
  7. Do you sell food? Can I get something to eat?
    • There is a snack machine (cash only) inside the community center. Occasionally under special circumstances, there are additional food vendors in the park. There are many restaurant options within five miles of the park. There is not hot food/coffee served and the park does not allow alcohol by City ordinance.
  8. Can I bring my dog? Are there places to walk my dog?
    • Dogs (and other pets) are not allowed in the park by City Ordinance (11-66). Service animals are of course welcomed. There is a dog park specifically designated for your dog; it is called Mizner Dog Park. Check out the Recreator for details on the dog park.
  9. Is there an ATM on premises? Do you take credit cards?
    • You can use a credit card to purchase tokens, tickets, register for events and activities. There is NO ATM here, so for the snack machines and special events, make sure you have some cash!
  10. I’d like to teach there. What do I do?
    • Please note that it is against City ordinance to use the grounds for teaching any type of class without a contract with the City. If you are interested in teaching a class, you must submit a formal application with our booking coordinator (applications are available from our front desk, or call 561-347-3902). If you want to coach or get involved with Athletics, please call the Field House at 561-347-3950.
  11. Do you give refunds?
    • If we cancel a show, class or program, refunds are given. If you do not come to a class, program, show, miss a class or skip your pavilion reservation date, fees are not refunded. 
  1. I’ve found an injured wild animal – can you help me? Can I drop it off there?
    • While we are a park, we are NOT an animal rescue facility! Our staff cannot accept animals. For injured sea turtles, please contact Gumbo Limbo Nature Center – or 561-544-8605. For other wildlife, contact the South Florida Wildlife Center in Ft. Lauderdale (954-524-3402).
  2. I’d like to report something...
    • For a serious problem (fire, in progress theft, medical emergency) please call 911.
    • For a park problem (such as leaking pipes, broken playground equipment, missing sprinkler heads, trail blockage) contact Park Maintenance staff at 561-394-3730.
    • For a serious (non-emergency) problem like vandalism, graffiti, or another non-urgent matter, contact the Park Ranger Headquarters (561-393-7815) or the City of Boca Raton Police Department (561-368-6201).
    • For a comment on customer service, or an indoor facility at this park, or you have a general comment about Sugar Sand Park, please use our feedback form at
    • If you have comments or questions about another facility, please contact Recreation Services Administration at 561-393-7810.
  3. Is there a beach there?
    • No, in spite of our name, Sugar Sand Park is NOT located at the beach. The City beaches are about 5 miles east of our location!
  4. How can I get a job there?
    • The park is part of the City of Boca Raton; please visit the City’s Human Resources page for information about working here, including instructions on how to apply and current job openings.
  5. Why isn’t there a summer traveling exhibit?
    • During the summer, the building’s available space is devoted to children’s specialty programs and science camp. This leaves one room available for our in-house science exhibits during the summer.
  6. Can you help me with Golf? Tennis? Swimming?
    • While we are part of the same department, the Community Center staff can help you with many general questions but Golf, Tennis and Aquatics are all different parts of our department, so to get the best answer, or to register for their programs, you should inquire at the specific facilities. For more complete information, visit
  7. What kinds of programming do you offer for families with special needs members?