Volunteers are vital to help with the activities, shows and programs that take place in the Explorium and the Willow Theatre. Each area has it's own opportunities. Please visit the links for specific information about each area.
Volunteers ages 14+ are welcomed and encouraged to join us (15+ for Science Camp Counselors). Sugar Sand Park might be the right place for you if you:
- Enjoy working with others
- Have a friendly and outgoing demeanor
- Need community service hours
- Love to be involved in your community
- Sugar Sand Park is operated by the City of Boca Raton. Volunteers will need to complete a City Volunteer forms packet, including the background check for ALL volunteers (yes, we need the social security number for ALL volunteers, regardless of age.)
- Volunteers 18+ will need to have their photo taken for a badge.
- The Explorium and Willow Theatre positions require an interview.
- All volunteers must attend mandatory training and/or orientation in their area prior to volunteering. This training/orientation provides an overview of the facility, expectations in the specific area, as well as policies and procedures to help prepare you with pertinent tools and information.
(Must be opened with Adobe Reader to be interactive, Adobe Acrobat to view and print out)
Volunteers under age 18 must have parent or guardian approval, and will have to sign a behavioral and commitment contract.
After volunteers have been approved by Human Resources, they are assigned a personal Volgistics account for online access. This account is used to find positions, sign up for shifts, sign in and out, and receive important emails and text messages from us.
VOLUNTEERS MUST SIGN UP FOR THIS IN ORDER TO VOLUNTEER AT SUGAR SAND PARK.
Danell “Mimi” McKeel, winner of the 2021-2022 Morton Rosen Commitment Award for the City of Boca Raton and featured in the “Sugar Sand Park's Volunteer Army” has been volunteering at Sugar Sand Park since 2018 and has contributed over 1300 hours. Mimi has been a museum guide for Children’s Science Explorium, a lead usher for the Willow Theatre and has taken on multiple shifts assisting with the reception desk at the Human Resources department when they were in a bind. She has gone out of her way to be available to the needs of our facility and consistently takes pride in the cities goals and initiatives when it comes to explaining who we are and how many outstanding amenities we offer to patrons.
Lois Kuhlman has been volunteering for the Children’s Science Explorium since July 2022 and has contributed over 150 hours. Lois work’s endlessly to bring beauty to our garden with her green thumb and her passion for gardening. She is known for her contagious smile that brings happiness to the children she gives tours to in the garden and everyone she meets along the way. Lois is being recognized today for her contributions to making our garden beautiful.
Shaylee Bartlett has been volunteering for the Children’s Science Explorium since December 2022 and has contributed over 290 hours. From field trips to cleaning Shaylee comes in every day with a smile on her face, eager to help in any way possible. Shaylee was also featured in “Sugar Sand Park’s Volunteer Army” and is a strong part of that army of volunteers making Sugar Sand great!