- Programs: The Explorium classroom accommodates a total of 25 people in each space, including teachers and chaperones. It is recommended that you arrive 15 minutes prior to the program start time to unload the bus and for a brief orientation. If you are going to arrive late, please call 561-347-3900 to inform us.
Programs begin promptly at 10:00 am.When inclement weather prohibits an outdoor program, an alternate program will be substituted based on availability. The programs will conclude at approximately 12:00, at which time you will be free to have lunch, ride the carousel, and visit the Science Playground.
- Exhibits: An exciting part of your visit is exploring the Exhibit Hall. Our permanent and traveling exhibits feature hands-on, interactive exhibits designed to challenge visitors’ thinking and promote an understanding of everyday science. A brief orientation will precede the exploration of the museum. Challenge worksheets about current exhibits are available for students.
*NOTE: The traveling exhibit hall will be closed during change-over (refer to the School Program Guide for specific dates). During these weeks staff provides alternative activities, such as guided nature tours and live demonstrations, to ensure a superb experience for students and teachers.
- Chaperones: RECOMMENDED: One Chaperone per seven students
Teachers and chaperones are responsible for all of their students and are expected to be involved in the program. It is recommended that chaperones NOT bring other children as it takes the focus away from helping to monitor the students. Staff reserves the right to ask any group to leave due to disorderly and inappropriate behavior. Download our Chaperone Survival Guide.
- Science Playground: The Science Playground is a unique three-level facility featuring many interactive components. A limited water area is available. Students are advised to bring a towel and a change of clothes if they plan on getting wet. Should you decide students are NOT allowed in this area, you have the option of avoiding it upon entering the playground. Chaperones MUST distribute themselves around the playground to supervise and oversee students’ behavior and activities.
- Carousel: Upon arriving, you will receive a carousel voucher that will give your group one free ride on the carousel. Students are expected to follow all riding guidelines and requests from the carousel operator.
- Lunch: The Classroom Patio or Family Pavilion, adjacent to the Science Playground, will be reserved for visiting groups to enjoy their lunches. Restrooms and water fountains are located at the Family Pavilion. The Explorium has two large bins to hold bagged lunches. Please have students pack their lunches in airtight containers to keep food dry and away from animals. Students and chaperones are responsible for cleaning up their lunch area after eating, and please do not allow children to feed the animals.